Their first bungalow, Blacker House, was built at 4260 Country Club Drive, Long Beach. It preceded the Gamble House, their most famous bungalow which was designed in Feb 1908 and completed
in 11 months. The commission came to the Greenes after the Gambles saw the Blacker house and were impressed by its design. Unfortunately, the people who eventually purchased
the Blacker house did not like the furniture and sold it off piece by piece. The Gambles owned their house until 1966, when they bequeathed it to the USC School of
Architecture. Two architecture students are allowed to live there each year. The woods used in the house are teak, maple, oak, Port Orford Cedar, and mahogany. Peter
and John Hall were the master carpenters who built the house. It is the only Greene and Greene house that is still complete.
In 1922 Charles moved to Carmel and broke up the partnership. Henry died in1954 and Charles in 1957. In 1952 the brothers received a citation from the
American Institute of Architects in which Stickley was not cited.
A&C furniture was manufactured in 4 different factories owned by different members of the Stickley family. It was characterized by simplicity, honesty, and exposed
joinery. Henry Wilkinson was a Stickley designer from 1902-1903. Harvey Ellis was hired by Stickley in 1903 to illustrate "The Craftsman" magazine.
Greene brother's furniture was influenced by Japanese design. The characteristics were cloud lifts, brackets, ebony plugs and splines, tsuba
(Japanes sword hilts), and exposed finger joints. Swedish immigrants, the Hall brothers built all their furniture. An excellent book on the Greenes is
"Greene and Greene" published by Phaidon, written by Edward Bosley.